Here I sit on my couch…crying. You see Sam works overnights every other weekend and I oftentimes find myself browsing on the computer while he’s gone. Usually it’s for houses in our hometown…or puppies. Well, I’m crying because I just came across a pup at the Humane Society that looks identical to my Ruthie. It says she’s 5 years old and was just given to the Humane Society because she “no longer fits in to her families lifestyle.” Not sure how anyone could ever give away a dog. The poor thing is probably so sad and so scared. I wish I could save them all but that’s not a possibility.

Maybe Sam will let us get another dog one of these days. I think I’d want to just walk in and say…”show me your dog that’s been here the longest. We want that one.” It would be great to save another dog and give them a loving home.

Lets carry on before I start crying again. Back to running. It’s been a while since I’ve reported back on my runs but things seem to be going smoothly as of the last week and a half. Last weekend I did a lovely, HILLY, 8 mile run at my aunt and uncles in Wausau, WI. They live in a series of Mountains in the area called Rib Mountain so it’s really beautiful but HOLY HILLS. 8 miles felt like 2000 miles (OK, exaggerating). Things were actually going pretty great til about mile 5.5 when suddenly I had to go #2. I was about ready to jump behind a pile of brush when lo-and-behold, I came around a corner and there sat a lovely, blue, port-o-potty. Thank heavens because I would not have made it home otherwise.

This week I did a shorter sprint workout and a super great hill repeat workout. The shorter sprint workout was done Tuesday morning and went well. It was a bit cooler and less humid and I actually felt like I could breath outside. I always forget how sweet morning runs are. Nobody else is awake. Just you, the birds, and the rising sun. It’s also really nice to get done before work since I sit at a desk for 8 hours of the day.

Now, Tuesday night I was fortunate enough to get together with my in-laws (they rock). It was restaurant week here in the Twin Cities so we went Herbies in St. Paul for a lovely 3 course meal (and a few glasses of wine). I started off with a tasty Caesar salad (my jam lately), followed by the most amazing piece of roast chicken ever. It was moist, flavorful, and just SO FRICKEN GOOD. For dessert, I went with the lavender tart but that was gone so I had to resort to the Chocolate Butterscotch cake (boo hoo). JK. IT WAS divine. Everything about this place rocked. Highly, highly suggest this if you are in the area.

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset
That chicken though.

Glad Sam was driving because 2 glasses of wine now-a-days really get to me. I got home, brushed my teeth, and feel fast asleep.

The other running workout of the week came on Thursday morning. After visiting my trusty Chiropractor Dr. Andy at Well Adjusted. *Shoutout to you for keeping my ankles strong!* I headed out for what I thought would be an easy 3 mile run. About a mile in, I came down a hill and what do you know, my running friends were just about to begin hill sprints. I obviously couldn’t pass up the opportunity. It was hot, humid, and man I did not feel like doing hill repeats but with Kit and Andrea cheering me on, we got it done. 6 repeats turned into 8 which turned into 12. At the end I looked at my watch and was like shit, we just did 3 miles of hill repeats. Way better than a boring 3 mile run. Post hills I chugged about a gallon of Vietnamese coffee and washed my stinky, sweaty hair.

After a much needed rest day yesterday, I woke up bright and early today at 5:43 (thanks to my trusty alarm clock named Ruthie) and headed over to Stillwater, MN to meet my pal Katie for a run. What started out as hopes of a 10 miler turned into a 12 miler and ended as a 13 miler. See that’s the thing with Katie…we chat the entire way and before you know it, the run is done. It’s fantastic. The run we did is all uphill the first 6.5 miles and then all downhill on the second half. It’s a really nice paved trail that starts in downtown Stillwater and goes for miles and miles towards St. Paul.

Post run we obviously got breakfast at one of the best local cafes, The Oasis. I went with a tall glass of chocolate milk and pancakes…yes, I’m a child.

We kept a really nice pace considering the heat that was building. When we started we were both contemplating a nice, easy, over 9 minute mile pace so I think we were pretty happy/surprised when we kept it in the 8’s!

This coming week I really hope to dial in the nutrition (more salads, less ice cream…maybe) and get in a couple shorter sprint workouts before a nice 16-18 miler next weekend.

Cheers to a Saturday spent with friends, family, good food, and cucumber basil margaritas.

Peace, love, and running.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s